Thursday, August 21, 2008

trip to Kaiser.....

So, despite all of the warnings I have heard about kids falling off changing tables, it happened to us. Yesterday, Chloe rolled right off and landed on the hard wood floor in her bedroom. I was right there, but could not catch her in time. She landed on her face, and got a bloody nose and a fat lip. I called Kaiser advice and I was told to bring her in, because she might have a broken nose or other broken bones in her face. Talk about ways to freak me out even more!!!

Thankfully, I was able to get ahold of Andrew and he met me at Kaiser. Her doctor checked her out and she was fine, other than a few bruises. Thank God! It was sad after her appointment when we got home, because Chloe would not nurse. She would start, and then start crying. I think her swollen lips were hurting too much. This made me feel even more horrible. I was already tormenting myself about the fall. We tried to give her milk in a bottle and sippy cup, but she only got a few ounces down. I was thankful to be awoken twice during the night to nurse Chloe--she ate a ton both times! (I will probably never be thankful again to feed her twice during the night! Usually I am thankful when she sleeps through the night!) Today, Chloe is a bit more whiny than usual and has some bruises below her nose and chin. Otherwise, she seems fine! I am starting to let go of some of my mommy guilt too, but have learned and am way more vigilant when Chloe is on her changing table. Here is Chloe on the scale at the doctor's office. Such a big girl sitting up! 18 pounds, 14.8 ounces!

9 comments:

Lexi and Linzi said...

Oh my that's so scary!!!! I'm glad you are letting go of the guilt though because accidents are bound to happen. I know it's hard but thank God she's ok and it even looks like she's smiling on the scale!!! Another good sign!

DeAnna said...

OH Katie, I am so sorry! You would never know by looking at her that she fell. She looks so happy and I cant see any marks on her. I am sorry that happend. Praise God that she is just fine!

Kristen Ewers said...

Oh sis, you are too funny talking about her traumatic fall and then posting that adorable photo of her! Hey, you know both of my kids have survived that and worse and haven't shown any signs of brain damage...yet! Just kidding, she's just part of the clumsy cousin club now.

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Yah... she looks way too happy for after a fall. What a smiley girl. There's nothing worse then having your kid hurt themselves because you always beat yourself up that it could have been prevented somehow. Hang in there! Molly rolled off our bathroom counter and bounced off the vinyl flooring (which is laid over the concrete slab) when she was a baby. And so far no long term damage! :)
Amy

Kate said...

oh poor katie and melonhead! it seems like EVERYone i know has dropped their baby in some way or another and it's turned out just fine AND everyone hates themselves for it. so i'm glad that you are starting to take it easy on yourself about it. sorry i didn't get to pet melon's head last night.

Paige said...

Took a header huh? Ya know all my kids took headers...ye syou have heard the sotries and they are all geniuses.... okay just kidding. Seriously I know the parental guilt thing, like a personal friend it's not a fun time but it fades.... She looks darn good in the photos!

Jen Graham said...

Alton has fallen off of the changing table. Le Sigh. I am so glad she is okay!

BTW, you've been tagged!
http://travandjengraham.blogspot.com
/2008/08/ive-been-tagged.html

Jennifer Herring said...

I'm glad you're getting over the mommy guilt! Like everyone has said, these things happen... And I wouldn't have even known if you hadn't said anything on Sunday. I couldn't see a single mark on her!

Aimee said...

Poor thing! (Both of you!) I know how that Mommy guilt can be...when Aden was 11 months old we were playing together on my bed (I was RIGHT THERE!) and he rolled backward off the bed, hit his head on the dresser and ended up chipping his front tooth. I felt AWFUL! Anyway, I'm so glad she's ok and that she resumed nursing so quickly.